Saturday, June 18, 2011

Get ready to shed a tear for Hamar Devdas


Patna, ( By AMIT BHELARI ) June 17: Devdas and Paro will soon romance and pine in our own tongue, as the immortal love story based on Bengali author Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay’s novel is set for a Bhojpuri silver screen avatar.

The adaptation, titled Hamar Devdas, will be released in August. While Ravi Kissen will play the tormented title character, Patna girl Akhsara Singh will play the role of Paro, Devdas’s love interest. Bhojpuri actress Monalisa will play Chandramukhi.

The tragic love story that has already been adapted on the large screen in a number of languages, has a Bihar connection as well. Sarat Chandra wrote the novel while staying at his residence in Bhagalpur in 1918.

Art, culture and youth affairs minister Sukhda Pandey and food and consumer protection minister Shyam Rajak released the audio CD of the film at Bankipore Club today. The film has 10 songs.

Kissen told The Telegraph: “The film is very realistic. It is not similar to earlier films made by Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Bimal Roy. I have given my best to the character of Devdas. He is deeply and madly in love with Paro. Bhansali’s Devdas was very stylish. Shah Rukh Khan was brilliant. However, in my opinion, Dilip Kumar’s performance as Devdas is the best. I don’t think anyone can equal that act. His expressions of love for Paro are deeply touching.”

The actor added: “When I watched the Dilip Kumar’s Devdas, I was very impressed. It was at that time I thought of making this film. However, I never got the opportunity till now. When the director the film, Kiran Kant Verma, narrated the script of the Bhojpuri version to me, I immediately said yes.”

Most of the film has been shot at Rajvant Palace of Rajpipla in Gujarat. Some of the scenes have also been shot in Bhagalpur, on the banks of Ganga, and in Patna.

On being asked if he had taken any tips from Dilip Kumar and Shah Rukh Khan, Kissen said: “No, I have not taken any help from them. I felt it would be nice to give an original performance. Devdas has been adapted six times, thrice in Hindi, twice in Bengali and once in Kannada. I did not want to repeat the same style. I wanted to do something different from the other actors.”

So does he drink as much as his character?

“I am not that much of a drinker. I drink occasionally, that too only wine. No hard drinks for me,” said Kissen.

No comments:

Post a Comment